[Gpdd] HEALTH: Callie's Dr. app results

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 07:49:39 EST 2015

Hi Lynn, it sounds like Callie got a good firm informed diagnosis, with the
UTI and she is on Baytril and that's good. So what did the vet give for
pain, you were going to ask for Rimadyl, but you didn't say. I believe Ann
prefers Rimadyl over ibuprofen anyway based on safety.  If you do use
children's ibuprofen be sure the directions you have are for children's, not
infants and visa versa. Both types are sold and this is a risk for human
babies too; that is that the parents get confused between infants and
children's. To be sure, match your dosage instructions to the box it comes
in, if the directions say children's, then buy children's, but if the
instructions are for infants, then be very sure to give medicine marked
clearly for infants.  Do I recall that Callie had a UTI before?  After the
Baytril is gone you might want to introduce cranberries to her diet. I
bought them fresh during the holidays and then froze them for use over the
whole year. If you can't find any that aren't sweetened you might try a
dropper of the unsweetened 100% juice (hard to find). That can be frozen in
ice cubes and given in small amounts so none is wasted. Do not cranberries
at the same time as antibiotics, they cancel each other out.  Penny and Ann
use those sachets as well. Then you may want to have Callie retested from
time to time to be sure the infection doesn't recur, IF she had one before.
I'm guessing after 3 months then wait 6 months more. Then if she is clear
you can be more confident it was really cured instead of waiting to see her
again. I advise this as I have had many intractable infections that had to
be treated with more than one course of antibiotics.
I still don't understand why the vet didn't do this pee test on the first
exam, the vet didn't do much the first time and you had a very sick piggie
who wasn't eating and had lost substantial weight, so I think your thoughts
to look around for a new one that can catch a UTI on the first visit and is
willing to do teeth correctly is a very sound decision.  My vets have always
done a pee test on the first visit. We are all grateful for Ann's sound
advice.  Remember to be on the watch for oral thrush and digestion probs
while she is on the Baytril. These are very common side effects from the
antibiotics so have the right probiotics and oral miconazole gel that Ann
recommends and use it.
I wish you and Callie a very good recovery
Sandy with Sammy at the bridge

---