[Gpdd] Health: elderly piggy losing weight slowly

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 19:20:29 EST 2015

Hello Meike,
I am sorry Woopy is feeling her age but at seven, she must. The wasting disease was once explained to me turned out to be the effects of cysts, tumors, or other hormone type problems that elderly lady pigs get in their reproductive organs. That would be the type that often manifest themselves with the thinning hair on the flanks often in kind of a V pattern, affecting both sides but not the top. A vet could do an ultrasound, x-ray, and palpate the area for lumps that shouldn’t be there. It is sometimes treated surgically and sometimes with medications but I don’t know which ones. I am sorry Penny is out at hospital as she would give a good answer, I will cc Ann. I hope our great lady isn’t in pain, you might see if she perks up with a couple doses of Rimadyl. We know that often old ladies have to have help with their aches and pains from arthritis. Rimadyl is an NSAID, often given for these types of problems.
I assume you know her teeth are in order so I would think a vet who can take a good look at her female organs is in order. I hope this helps and she feels better soon. We have all loved her so many years we hope she has more time with us before she has to book her last Pig-Air trip
Much love, Sandy

---