[Gpdd] HEALTH: charlie's operation

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 03:38:26 EST 2015

Hi Christine. Ahh! The vet problems. Ye, the abscess may refill unless she removes it but I share your doubts about letting her do a trickier operation. I would try to find a better more experienced surgeon. Ask them straight out how many piggies they have performed this procedure on and judge them by the quality of their answer. A good vet will give you a straight answer even though they can't make promises. You have a right to know how many times they have performed this type of operation and if it's usually successful. Was the abscess liquid filled or that cheesy pus? The cheesy pus keeps refilling. The vet should have analyzed the puss/fluid to be sure what it is, so ask for that report and ask for her (him) to interpret it if you don’t know the words  she uses. Write it all down and look it up on Google or post it on GPDD and someone will be able to interpret it. $200 is ok if it's cured in one pop, not so good if you have to return esp. multiple times. What you need to see is that it heals from the inside out, the opposite of most operations where you sew them up and they heal from the outside in. One hint. Blunt the tip of the syringe she gave you to flush the pocket out. Cut off the tip so it has s bigger opening and is not so pointed and needle like. I was given one with a curved tip that came to a point, and unfortunately it pierced the lining of the sac and the outcome was very bad. If the tip isn't sharp or pointy, you will have a better time of cleaning it out and getting the type of healing you are looking for. Do you follow what I mean; it's hard for me to explain. If it's unclear, let me know and I will try again or maybe Ann will say it better as her training is quite superior. What is the gel you filling it with. For your info my vet used chloramphenicol, which is not approved for people as a very few have a bad reaction to it. But it's very effective.
This info comes from my experience with abscess operations on my piggies when I had an excellent vet/surgeon. I am not a professional, just a piggie lover who had many piggies over many years.
 Sandy with Sammy at the Bridge

---