[Gpdd] Health: worming guinea pigs - used to be: elderly piggy losing weight

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 07:45:53 EST 2015

Hi Mieke.  I did a Google search of Praziquantel, it is in the same class as
ivermectin and is very effective against flatworms and some other parasites,
internal and external.  I suggest you do the same search because I can't
tell if it gets the same parasites as the combo of Panacur and ivermectin,
or if the dosage in cavies is the same or different or if cavies are more
sensitive to it. Unless someone gave the go ahead I would not use it for
fear that sensitives or dosage would be different.  There is lots of info in
a Google search just not enough for me to make the switch, we know that the
regular ivermectin - Panacur combo does the job in cavies.  There are lots
of drugs in this class and many are used with certain parasites and not with
others, if Ann clears it that one thing, but without her go ahead, I
wouldn't. I doubt your vet is basing his recommendation on cavies, and dogs
and cats eat meat and get their own parasites and their internal chemistry
is different from cavies.
Just my thoughts   Sandy

---