[Gpdd] (Health) Treacles abcess or sore

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 12:33:21 EST 2015

Julie,  I am sorry to hear that Treacle has an abscess or infected grease
gland that is filling with pus. I do believe it is dangerous to leave one
unattended over a long period as the infection might travel and it certainly
drains the piggies resources. I don't know if you can tie it off, since it
seems so loose and unconnected and I think Ann is the only person who can
answer that question besides a vet. The medication, an antibiotic, that my
vet had me use to flush out abscesses he had opened and drained was
"chloramphenicol". It is very good and used in piggies however it's not
approved for use in humans because a small number of people are so sensitive
to it that just getting it on your skin can be fatal, therefore if used you
must wear gloves and be careful not to get it on your skin.  It is listed
for piggies on Guinea Lynx. It comes as a liquid so can be used, diluted I
believe, for piggies but I don't know the dosage.  I think the abscess or
whatever it is  just has to be seen by a vet and I think you need Ann's
directions for removing an abscess or dealing with a bum grease gland or
cyst. Then you must get your vet to promise to use Ann's instructions. Since
you are already draining pus the procedure a vet uses if they chose not to
remove the abscess is to open it wider and flush it with a sterile
antiseptic solution twice a day, not just when it fills again. Sometimes the
piggie is given antibiotics as well but the chloramphenicol does the job
locally. This method of flushing gives the abscess a chance to heal from the
inside out.
I have heard of using raw honey and Epsom salts but I don't know the
concentration. I haven't heard of colloidal silver I just don't know enough
to recommend their use. In one piggy I noticed he had no pain at all when
the abscess was lanced, but somewhere close to the abscess the skin must
become sensitive again, but the covering of the abscess caused no pin when
lanced. The flushing is done with the small sized syringe, needle removed,
and there is a lager syringe with a special curved plastic tip with a hole
at the end of course, that can be filled with the draining agent, inserted
into the wound and carefully flushing.  Be sure not to pierce the wall of
the abscess. Again you need a vet to advise you to make sure the abscess is
a sack with walls, otherwise you might be injecting the treatment fluid into
his body cavity and that could kill him.
So for all the bits and pieces I have, he needs a vet and Ann, bottom line.
I think the Q-tips you are using could leave cotton fibers in the wound and
that is probably not advisable. Depending on the abscess he may not need
anesthesia, maybe just a local or if it's not sensitive, nothing. But the
pro's will know. Wish I do more but I am not a vet or a professional.
Lotsa love, Sandy