[Gpdd] Misc.: Happy New Year

ROYCE cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Wed Jan 7 15:15:57 EST 2015

Like many of us, I continue to read my GPDD posts every day but seldom post anything. I want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year. Condolences to everyone who has just lost little friends. After losing Chipper in June, it is all still fresh enough in my mind to remember the tears and my heart goes out to all of you.

My new little girl, Abby, is thriving and she proves that every cloud has a silver lining. If I hadn't lost Chipper, I wouldn't have gotten her and she is the dearest, sweetest little friend, much cuddlier and more of a lap piggy than Chipper. He couldn't be on my lap more than three minutes while Abby parks herself there for half an hour or more. Chipper was full of personality and I miss him, but life goes on and there will always be a piggy in residence even when the pain of loss is always on the horizon of their short lives. The joy and enrichment for me is worth the pain. I can't imagine life without a guinea pig in it.

Abby is the first female I've had and she seems to have topped off at 1 lb. 12 oz. That seems so small to me but I'm unsure if that is more normal for females. Chipper also was quite small for a male, about 2 lb. 3 oz. I'm wondering if I have anything to be concerned about or if this size is ok. She eats like a pig...although it is still only grass, carrots and lettuce besides her hay and pellets. No peppers, parsley, or fruit of any kind. I have kept trying but she licks it, puts her teeth on it and then turns and runs into her house. Very strange!

Anyway, Happy New Year again.

Carla & Abby