[Gpdd] GPDD (Health) (Hina'u seems to be paralyzed )

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 07:13:28 EST 2015

Dearest Ellen

Hina'u has been quite sick recently and this could be a progression or
decline in his health.  It doesn't sound to me like paralysis so much as
morbid decline. However, on the chance it could be paralysis I believe the
fastest treatment is Vit C and possibly calcium. Some people have noticed a
remarkable reversal if these supplements are given immediately.

I am reminded that Hawaii has a lot of parasites and our other Hawaiian
friend has had giardia  in her herd. Have you kept up with the anti-parasite
regimen? Have him tested for all the usual parasites including giardia.  I
have not put the fact together that you have chins in the house and possibly
they are more susceptible to e.c. than guinea pigs although if they can get
it, the transmission can from mixing hay contaminated with urine from the
chins or close contact. This happened once a long time ago with another
member who had a rabbit.  I don't know if there is a definitive test for
e.c. developed in the last few years. E.c.  is e. cuniculi, a really nasty
parasite rarely transmitted to guinea pigs, it devours nerve tissue starting
from the hind legs up towards the brain. Also consider that your involvement
with feral cats could result in transmission of parasites.  So have him
tested an if he has positive results we can go from there and treat the rest
of your herd.
I am very sorry for this turn of events, I most dearly hope he gets better
and that are no parasites in him or your other precious kids. I don't want
to worry you but it seems irresponsible not to bring it up. Do try the vit.
C and calcium ASAP, tonight if you are still up, and good luck!
Love, Sandy

---