[Gpdd] HEALTH: Important-Callie is not eating

ME me at buddies.org
Sat Jan 24 02:36:37 EST 2015

There are different reasons guinea pigs decrease the amount they are eating, so it's important to find the cause.  Pain or illness can also put them off food.  I used to check their molars by putting my pinky in their mouth and feeling back there, but it's usually inconclusive unless the teeth are so overgrown.  However, what I've found since I started hand feeding pellets to ailing piggies (I only syringe feed if they're unable to chew pellets) is that the incisors start to dull when they have teeth problems.  Also, when molars are at the correct length, they can pulverize a pellet very quickly and their jaws move from side to side very quickly.  You can compare a healthy pig's teeth and eating motion to the one who's not eating ... though each pig does have their individual habits, so it's best to know how an individual pig eats when healthy.

When I hand feed, if they aren't eating anything at all, I feed 15 pellets every 2-3 hours with around 15 ml of water (add vit C), 6-8 times a day.  It mimics their natural eating habits as close as I can.  If my schedule doesn't allow that many feedings, I up it to 20-30 pellets 4-5 times a day, but it's generally not as effective.  If they are eating some on their own and are starting to gain weight back, I spread out the feedings more until they're independent.

I also hand feed some when I give meds, just 2-3 times a day, 10-15 pellets with 10-15 ml of water, even if their weight is fine, as long as it doesn't stress them out.  It takes a few times for some to get used to it, but some just fight it no matter what.  If they keep fighting the feedings and their weight is okay, I just give them as much water as they'll take and not worry about the food.  It's just a time to bond and I think the food and water keeps them feeling better if they enjoy or at least tolerate the feedings.