[Gpdd] HEALTH: Good news! Callie is eating

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 05:07:15 EST 2015

I am concerned about your visit to the new exotics vet. She examined Callie,
presumably you mentioned teeth, she clipped the front teeth but didn't
observe the molars. Then she also poked and prodded Callie and DIDN't find
anything wrong with her, and sent you both home and telling you to come back
if Callie didn't  start eating and she would check the molars then!  She
charged you for a visit, didn't do anything to improve eating and put off a
diagnostic visit to later!!!!  AND she said she would sedate her. We all
know from Ann that sedation isn't necessary and it's not recommended Callie
has already lost significant weight, and hadn't been eating for days, that
was an important vet visit not a let's put our toe in the water and see if
Callie gets better on her own visit.  So yes go back, insist that the
molars, ALL OF them be visualized, and that Callie not be sedated as both
Ann and I mentioned.  With Callie off feed this long, her molars might
overgrow just from not being used! I agree she should be checked again for
UTI, and maybe an ultra sound if the molars are OK to look for tumors,
cysts, cancer, bloat, torsion, etc.  I am very disturbed that an exotic vets
didn't visualize the molars on the first visit with that history.  I would
take Ann's email with you.  I forget if there was a pee test, does she have
a UTI?  Piggies don't just stop eating and even though she is eating bits
now that's still not a normal diet. SO go back and find out what's wrong
with her and please get some pain meds, Rimadyl is usually the safest per
Ann.
Sorry I am disturbed but it's just my amateur opinion.  Everyone on GPDD has
given excellent advice. I am not a vet!
Sandy

---