[Gpdd] MISC: Dangerous Food List for Guinea Pigs

Judi Lainer bunsnpigs at aol.com
Fri May 1 18:23:35 EDT 2015

I've had guinea pigs for 20 years now and I disagree with some of what is on this page.  The safe food list is nice, although I don't follow the feed in moderation rule for some of the veggies, mainly because I buy organic and rarely have a problem with stones or sludge.

The big thing I disagree with that they state is the amount of veggies to feed:

"Guinea should get only 1 cup (240 mL) of vegetables per day, which, if you are feeding snacks, should include some dark greens and preferably no fruit."

I would have a mutiny on my hands if I only fed 1 cup max of veggies per day.  My guinea pigs and rabbits have always had more like 3 cups per day of varied greens along with unlimited hay and 1/4 cup pellets.  I do not feed fruit because their digestive tracts are so delicate and sugar can offset the balance too easily.

The Farmers Market is fabulous!  I love it and wish we could get veggies all year long, but we can't.  However, there is nothing like fresh fennel greens, fresh cucumber, fresh greens of all kinds and herbs to make my babies happy.

Judi L.
Virginia
(Founder of Metropolitan Guinea Pig Rescue in the MD/DC/NoVA area)