[Gpdd] [CARE] Fighting piggies

Jocelyn Anderson jocelynm at umich.edu
Sat May 9 19:59:44 EDT 2015

Thank you Penny and Cindy for the advice! Sorry for the lack of details in
my last email, I was in a bit of rush to try to get the email out while
Apollo and Dmitri Stormlord were in the same arena. We have since split
them up, but they are still chatting with each other through the bars.

Before we introduced the piggies, Apollo and Dmitri were able to get a good
sniffing at each other through the grids. When we introduced them by
putting down some blankets in an enclosed area and Apollo was thrilled! He
was so happy to have another piggy. Dmitri was not so sure about the whole
thing.

I cleaned down both Dmitri's and Apollo's arena, and then removed the wall
between the two cages. Apollo was very happy, but Dmitri was acting scared
when Apollo would get close. Dmitri would then snap at Apollo, and Apollo
would make sad piggy noises. I do wonder if there's something in Dmitri's
past that makes him so scared. There were enough tussles that we decided to
spilt them up for now.

Dmitri has a very small hay hut with an opening that seems appreciate for a
hamster. Apollo is a big piggy at over 3 pounds, but he decided he wanted
to go in the hut. He somehow squeezed himself in there, although the hay
hut wasn't sitting quite right with big Apollo in there. Apollo is such a
funny piggy!

We're going to try again sometime soon. Dmitri is doing better - he was
doing zoomies for the first time yesterday! - and we hope he'll come around
to seeing what a lovebug Apollo is.

Gruden von Squeakcheeks in the meanwhile is happy in his own arena where he
chats with Apollo.  Just before I get home on weekdays, he wheeks at my
hubby as if to get some food before I come home to feed them dinner. Pretty
smart little fuzzy!

Thank you again for the advice!

Jocelyn, Gruden von Squeakycheeks, Apollo, and Dmitri Stormlord