[Gpdd] CARE Fighting piggies

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat May 23 04:12:24 EDT 2015

One thing I have learned about matching baby boars with adult boars is that
initial success can sometimes change months later when the baby boars
reaches maturity. He may challenge the older boar to take over as boss boar,
I really mean may, it's not for sure. I have had many boar couples that
loved each other dearly their whole lives.  So sometime pairing works,
sometimes it doesn't, most of the time it works if it is initially
successful but just be sure to watch the real behavior of your boars. Even
if the older boar gives in he may feel loss of face and start to decline. I
don't think this is reason to not match boars, all my boars were paired,
except a few who were neutered, and the pairings were almost always
successful. It's merely a caution to really watch your piggies with a keen
eye as to how they are really feeling all through their lives (helps spot
illness early too).  One rule I always emphasize is to always use huge
luscious salads as a diversion when attempting pairing or re-pairing after a
separation. Piggies love eating over all other activities most of the time.
Last point, if they are snipping at one another at the end of the day or
when you have to leave them, then separate them until you are back. Paired
boars are a treat to watch, you should try, just be patient or cautious.
Sandy
Loving boars