[Gpdd] HEALTH Re Guinea pig has persistent snuffles

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 08:10:30 EDT 2015

It is good to hear from you again Michael and Corrine but sorry to read
that Spikey has a persistent snuffle.

What kind of piggy is he? I am asking because my Rafferty does the same
thing. He has no respiratory problem and his lungs are clear but sometimes
he makes so much noise that he can be heard from the next room. Having
exhausted all other possibilties, my Rodentdologists put it down to the
fact that Rafferty has a short nose and when he lays down or sleeps, his
airway is compromised so that he "snores" and sometimes has a runny nose. I
do give him an occasional dose of liquid Bisolvon just in case he is
getting congested.

Rafferty is a Peruvian with a very blunt nose and apart from the snuffle,
could eat for Britain. It was not so noticeable when he was little but now
he is a chunky adult, the noise has become worse. If he sleeps with his
nose on top of his friend, Bosworth, the noise is less, presumably because
his airway is kept more open in that position.

Maybe this might help? Maybe others have more suggestons.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.