[Gpdd] Gruden von Squeakcheeks Looking Thin

Jocelyn Anderson jocelynm at umich.edu
Mon Oct 19 08:23:52 EDT 2015

Hello All,

Gruden von Squeakycheeks has lost a bit of weight - 50-60g over a few weeks
- so we took him in to the vet.  He had a tiny bit of a bald patch on the
top of his rump, too. When the vet was checking him out, the patch was a
little flaky. They thought mites, and gave him Selamectin, which is a
topical treatment.

The bald patch went away, and he's holding weight, but he still seems
itchy. Especially on his flanks. I don't see him scratching, but I can see
where he's been using his teeth to scratch.

I took him to another vet and she said that Selamectin can dry out the
skin. She suggested adding a few drops of vegetable oil to his food or
letting him lick margarine off of my fingers. Has anyone heard of this?
Also, should I take Gruden back to the vet to see if the mites are there?
Could it be something else? Other than the itches, Gruden is his sassy and
squeaky self.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jocelyn, Gruden von Squeakycheeks, Apollo, and Dmitri Stormlord