[Gpdd] [Health] Cocoa Puff has cancer

scalabro3 scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 20 16:17:38 EDT 2015

Hi. I've just been a little ray of sunshine lately. It seems that all I have is bad news, but I guess that comes with having an older herd.
Cocoa Puff is 6.5 years old. He has been losing weight, so they checked him over a week ago and found that he had pneumonia. I was so worried that I had another stone pig, but they x-rayed and ultrasounded and didn't find anything wrong except for his respiratory problem.
After a week on antibiotics, he seemed much better, but still losing weight. The vet found a mass in his abdomen, but couldn't tell what it was without surgery, so she operated yesterday and pulled out a golf ball sized tumor from his pancreas. It had metastasized, and she couldn't remove all the smaller tumors.
We probally should have pulled the plug then, but we didn't have the heart to do it. The vet assures me that she can control the pain with medication, so now I'm hoping that this will bring him enough good days to make up for the really bad two days he's had so far.
He's eating a little on his own, and I'm supplementing with critical care. He's doing much better than I expected. He's still responsive, and he purrs whenever I pet him. He still stands up to touch my husbands nose with his whenever he sees him. He's still Cocoa Puff and doesn't seem too drugged or scared, which is good.
I hope that he continues to improve. The large tumor was making it hard for him to eat, and it probably didn't help his breathing. I hope that the smaller tumors take their time growing and don't give him much trouble.
Cocoa Puff was pet of the day on 9/19. If you have a Facebook page, you can search for Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic to see his picture. If enough people "like" him, he could be pet of the month, which would give me a small credit on his massive vet bills. "Likes" and prayers are greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your support!
ME in New Smyrna Beach with Cocoa Puff, Powder Puff, and Godiva in our home and many more on the other side.
Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport