[Gpdd] Gpdd (Announcement) (new piggy Finnegan)

Ellen Garrison guineamom88 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 05:31:17 EDT 2016

Hi all,
First, I am sending happy & healthy & loving prayers to Jamie and family thst your son Cody is well and that the doctors are just weird.
Secondly, I have just adopted a boar I named Finnie (Finnegan) who a former co-worker gave me finally. The former co-worker is a mom and works 13 hour days...they had Finnie in a small rabbit cage on their carport in 90° Farenheit weather, where it was very hot, no place in cage for hiding, no breeze, cigaret smoke and car exhaust - ugh.
He is only about 2, but was getting stasis, dehydration, tooth issues, and today we went to a new exotics veterinarian here who was very very nice, he goes back on the 14th for dental filing, I could tell right away Finnie has molar malocclusions (the former person who had him called him simply 'Guinea'.)
I am disgusted with how some people neglect their pets but glad Svetla surrendered him to me. Her little daughter was crying about his leaving but they can visit. Plus now he will be in A.C. and near to other piggies and animals. (My adopted cat of 2 months lives to place her paw in the cages and try to "pet" them but I do have a water spray bottle to train her to leave 'em alone, haha. It does not always work, but she is a sweetie so just wants companionship more than anything.)
So the exotics vet gave us a bunch of 5 mL syringes and needles, to administer subcues on the fold of flesh near Finnies' shoulderblades. For me to do. Like I can, because I was in veterinary assisting school.  Apparently they are not putting up with my "beating around the bush" and are not letting on to me that I "can't".  So today I did my first subcue for Finnie, who was dehydrated. I had to hold his head down with a flimsy cotton dress I secured between my knees and my behind, while holding him on my lap, and administered 5 mL of Ringers solution. Only I had to do half, then half, since he squirmed the first time. And I pricked my finger with the first needle so had to discard that. They gave me tons of needles and syringes and the prescription is 5 mL, THREE TIMES DAILY. Oh no! Really? I am asking a friend to assist and if he can't, to secure Finnie), then I will ask another friend or neighbor. Just to restrain him from moving around.
I am also giving him a lot of Critical Care, and gut motility meds, and pain meds. He is bound to recover after dental work.
Aloha,
Ellen, with 6 piggies, 2 chinnies, a bunny, and a cat!