[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: My heart-boy FIGGY

dogcatpiggymom at yahoo.com dogcatpiggymom at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 23:51:09 EDT 2016

Hi Friends,
It has taken me a long time to write this post and it is a VERY VERY long one so I apologize ahead of time.  My posts also always have question marks which are so annoying and I don't know why, so if you read this, thank you for ignoring them.  Most of all, thank you for having me share my sadness with you.  I feel the need to talk about my boy, whom I will miss until the day I die.  My Figgy.
I am simply heartsick.  Three weeks ago, on July 22nd, I had to help Figgy leave me.  It was the most painful guinea pig loss I ever had and yet, I had Figgy for only 9 1/2 months.  To say I adored him to the very core of my being is putting it mildly and to lose him has truly been devastating.
You might remember that in September, I received a cross posted email for a guinea pig dumped in a shelter that is about an hour from me.  I saw the picture and thought...what a gorgeous pig!  The email said that it was a female, 3 years old and needed to get out of the shelter ASAP because they only handle dogs and cats.  I didn't immediately respond, but then I got a few more emails the next few days and thought...what is the big deal about someone rescuing a little 2 pound guinea pig?NOT ONE person was interested in helping this pig.  So, I took "her".  My thought was to foster and adopt this pig out to a good home as I seriously considered no longer having guinea pigs when my last 2 elderly girls (Sassy and Ellie) passed away.
As soon as I got this baby, I checked and "she" was definitely a BOY.  I was only disappointed because I had hoped to put "her" with my girls after quarantine.  I named him FIGGY and I honestly don't know why that name popped into my head.I came to find out later, that "she" was named PIGGY by the previous owner.  This poor pig also lived alone in a tiny cage (which the shelter gave me and I donated to a rescue which they would only use as an emergency...that's how small it was!)  Figgy also had terribly overgrown nails, one with "something" stuck to it and a small lesion located on his back.  I got him home to me on Oct. 2nd.
Within a day, I knew I was madly in love with Figgy.  In all of my many years of fostering and being a mom to guinea pigs, I had never met one like him.  He was the happiest, most lovable guinea pig ever.  I swear, I think he thought he was a dog!  He wanted attention and would lick me and from the very first day, he would sit with me and snuggle.  When I approached the cage, he would actually jump up and down and wheek for attention until I took him out.  He never ran and if I put him outside (right next to me) , he'd bask in the warm sun and end up curling up into my lap.  I had the best 9 1/2 months of love and sweetness ever!  He was gorgeous inside and out.  He loved so deeply and he loved everyone!  BUT...we had a special bond.
I took Figgy to the vet who cut off the "thing" on his nail and he looked at the lesion.  He said if Figgy wasn't bothering with it, to just leave it alone.  It could be just about anything and the only way to find out was to operate.  That's not the chance I wanted to take.  So, I let it be.  However, a few months later, I saw that sometimes this lesion would actually open up to expose skin and then dry up again.
In February I fostered 5 baby boy guinea pigs.  I kept one for Figgy to finally have a friend to share his cage with.  I had set up another C&C cage (2x6) for Figgy and now he had a friend who picked him.  I named him Archie (an agouti).  To me, this amazing little boy finally had the right environment and a mom who would never give him up!
Then, in early May, literally overnight (as I was with my "Figlet" a lot!!!), Figgy had a HUGE mass on his side.  I swear, nothing was there the night before!  I took him to the vet who said he wouldn't know what it was unless they operated.  It could be a tumor, a cyst, a hernia, an abscess.  We had no choice but to do surgery.  It ended up being an abscess and a drain was put in.  It could not be removed as many are because it was truly enormous!  However, it wouldn't drain (I will leave out the gory details) so I had to go to the vet every day for them to do it manually.  About 2 weeks later, a second abscess on the same side appeared.  I was devastated!  We did a second operation, another drain inserted and for one entire month, Figgy and I went to the vet EVERY single day to drain them both.  The vet is 30 minutes away (one way) and Figgy would walk into the carrier and either fall asleep, wheek for me at the door or eat the surprise goodies I left for him.  HowI loved spending every second with him!
After a month, there were no changes.  We had tried 3 different antibiotics and Figgy was on pain meds.  My vet said to take him home, spoil him and I would need to let him go soon.
But, that didn't happen.  For nearly 3 months, Figgy acted as he always did.  He was happy go lucky and loving, eating and always so happy to see me.  But, yet another abscess grew on the same side!
So, I traveled over an hour to another exotic vet even though I was happy with mine.  By now, Figgy was deformed on one side of his body with abscesses and open sores.  The original lesion suddenly changed and looked like Cancer to me and I'm no vet!  Sure enough, the vet confirmed that he had Cancer and should be euthanized soon.
NO!  I prayed harder than ever and I was truly devastated.  I would do anything for him...I would spent any amount of money...just please don't let my Figgy die!
So, for the next 3 weeks, I took care of his wounds and Figgy acted the same.  He still had JOY...how can that be?  I knew in my heart that I would know when the time came and this sure wasn't it!  He was active and eating and I couldn't let him be euthanized like that.  I enjoyed every second with Figgy and spoiled him like crazy.
But, the day did come.
Figgy was fine at night.  In the morning of July 22nd, he looked bigger...big as in swollen.  It was so strange.  He ran up to me looking for a treat but in my heart I knew something had changed.  So, I called the vet (my first vet) and made the appointment for later in the day.  I washed Figgy's wounds and medicated them as usual and together we sat outside on my deck in the sun.  I gave him fresh basil to eat and I talked to him until we had to leave.  I was dying inside.
My vet and staff were very sad to see why Figgy was back and one of the assistants cried as hard as I did.  It wasn't my imagination about Figgy looking different.  His legs were swollen due to circulatory problems...so now was the time to let him go...even though he was STILL the same sweet, Figgy.  I don't know how I drove home through the tears and a deceased Figgy in my car...as the pain was truly immeasurable.  I also felt anger...that THIS little boy who finally had a good home would die.  Figgy was buried with all the other little souls in my backyard.
So, until tonight, I really couldn't talk about Figgy, but I got the courage up to write to you all finally.  I hadn't been on the GPDD much while my Figgy was sick and I just couldn't let you know at the time what I was dealing with.  It was much too painful.
My Archie wasn't alone for long.  Nine days before I lost Figgy, I took in a Mama guinea pig and her 5 newborns (3 days old).  I am fostering the entire family for a rescue group.  Three of the 5 were boys and had to be separated from Mama and the girls so they are with Archie.  One little boy in particular loves Archie so he will definitely stay...maybe even another one.  So much for no longer having guinea pigs when (God forbid) I lose the older girls!  Of course, now I worry about the fosters...will they get a home like they have now with me?
Now, when I go into the family room, I have 9 guinea pigs all wheeking and popcorning around because they know I always have food.  Yet, the room feels empty.  There is no Figgy there and my heart hurts so much.  So very, very much.
Thank you for listening to me.  I know you understand while others think "it's JUST a guinea pig".  I do look forward to the day when I can think of Figgy and the joy he brought into my life instead of crying so much.  If you'd like to see Figgy pictures or even my fosters, just email me.  I guess I'll remain a piggy mom for many years yet.
Hugs,Joanne

<!--p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";}filtered {margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}div.Section1 {}-->