[Gpdd] HEALTH Re: Caring for Texel

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:19:47 EST 2016

Hello Julie,

It is good to hear from you again. I have had many Texel type piggies down
the years and all I do with their coats is to brush them and, if I find a
mat, snip it out. I bath them occasionally and very carefully trim their
coats all around their rear end taking even more care if they are boars.

Some do have a very thick coat. I have noticed this more with Alpacas, who
have a very curly coat but none of these long haired piggies have an
undercoat.

It very seldom gets hot here in England and humidity is something we do not
have to worry about but you might like to cut Teddy Bear's coat much
shorter when it is hot.

The fancy coats have been bred into them and the original wild piggies did
not look like this. As they have grown up, my Magnus and Ivan seem to have
some Texel in them and I have noticed Magnus taking advantage of the
radiator that runs all along the back of some of the pens, lying right
beside it so, even with his long coat, he does not appear to get too hot or
else he could move away. There is lots of room for him to do so.

So to sum up, in your extreme climate, I think that I would give Teddy a
good haircut during the very hot weather, It will not matter to him if you
overdo it and it will soon grow back.

Maybe other GPDDers, who are used to very hot weather, might like to reply.

Best wishes to you and your little ones Julie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.