[Gpdd] HEALTH Grinding up tablets

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:46:06 EDT 2016

I have never used Shilintong but when I have tablets to crush for the
Piggyfriends, I put the tablet between two dessert spoons and press hard.
When I have smaller pieces in the bottom spoon, I wiggle the top one around
until I have the nearest thing that I can get to a powder.

A mortar and pestle is just too big for this purpose.

When I have my powder in the bottom spoon, I add a little water and stir it
around.

I don't know how well shilintong dissolves but, with something like a
furosemide or Buscopan tablet, by this time I can use a 1ml, syringe and
draw the resulting mixture up into it.

I know that you can buy pill splitters from the vet but I don't know if
there is such a thing as a pill crusher. If not, there should be. Hopefully
someone will have a better reply.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.