[Gpdd] HEALTH: Grinding up Tablets/Shilintong

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Wed Jul 13 17:02:33 EDT 2016

I don't know if you can purchase these in other places, but in most Canadian pharmacies or drug stores you can buy a little device called a pill crusher --- you put the pill into a tiny little chamber and then screw down a sort of piston that crushes the pill into powder.  They are quite inexpensive and work great.  I have had occasional trouble with pills that have a coating on the outside; the inside part crushes while the coating stays mostly intact, but it's usually easy to separate the two afterwards
I have seen very small mortar and pestles (with a bowl just a few inches in diameter) but they aren't common, and I think you would have trouble scraping up all of the powder with a regular-size mortar and pestle.
I used to hear a lot about Shilintong as a treatment for rabbit bladder problems years ago, but I read any accounts directly from anyone who had used it successfully.  It would be wonderful if it turned out to work for guinea pig bladder stones, which cause so much suffering.  Please keep us posted on your progress!
Pat and the Prairie Pigs