[Gpdd] HEALTH Re: Gruden not eating.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:08:16 EST 2016

Jocelyn,

I am so sorry to read that Gruden is not eating.

Syringe feeding is so very hard and time consuming as I know only too well
as it is taking up a lot of my own time at the moment so I feel for you.

Julie mentioned something the vet administered to Kimba. This might have
been metaclopramide, which stimulates the gut to keep working. This has
been a lifesaver for more than one Piggyfriend over the years.

Did your vet give him a diuretic? We use furosemide. So often, heavy
breathing is indicative of a heart problem.

But it could be pneumonia or a URI, in which case he needs an antibiotic.

My Rafferty gets so snuffly sometimes that he cannot eat as he is so bunged
up. He does not have any infection as far as we can discover but needs his
nose cleared so that he can eat. They can't eat if they can't breathe
properly. When he gets this bad, I throw everything at him. Sudafed
decongestant, Nurofen for its anti inflammatory properties rather than the
painkilling side, Vick on his nostrils and paws and he sits on my lap to
inhale a Menthol crystal dissolved in boiling water in a small jar. I have
to syringe feed him until he is up and running to avoid gut stasis. It is
hard going.

I also give little patients a dose of Metatone tonic every day until they
are better.

I hope that you are winning your battle. Paws crossed for Gruden.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.