[Gpdd] HEALTH: Madonna's UTI

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Mon Mar 21 15:07:02 EDT 2016

Hi Kate,
I'm so glad to hear that Madonna is feeling a bit better already.  Probably bathing the skin and giving her clean bedding would have made her more comfortable right away, and now that the UTI is being treated, you're getting at the root cause, too.   Bactrim is a good antibiotic for piggy UTIs and much easier to get into them than the nasty tasting stuff.
It sounds as if you have done all the right things already, and the only other thing I could suggest is to keep her bedding extra clean for the next little while until she is recovered from the UTI.  Older piggies are more sedentary than youngsters, but I suspect her skin problem was probably related to the UTI.  She wasn't feeling well and with you away, may have also had less incentive than usual to move around.  Why do these things always happen when we're on holiday?  It's not fair!
You are not doing much wrong if Madonna is already six years old, but I'm very glad to hear she's on the mend --- thanks for adding the update!
Pat and the Prairie Pigs