[Gpdd] HEALTH Archie's teeth

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:55:05 EDT 2016

Christine,

The finest thing to keep a piggy's teeth in good condition is good quality
hay. They just need to keep on munching to wear those molars down.

Unfortunately some piggies are prone to dental problems however well you
feed them. A slightly misaligned jaw will cause the teeth to grow unevenly
or, like my Garnet, they can grow extraneous teeth, which need removal. The
tiniest overgrowth of a molar to cause them to stop eating and this is what
happened to my Louis. Others soldier on with horrible teeth, which may not
be noticed until they show you that eating has become difficult. I always
think that piggy's dentition is a design fault but, luckily, most piggies
go a lifetime without any problems.

The lump could be a lipoma, just a fatty lump which, as you described, is
loose and can be moved around. I have had piggies with lipomas, which have
never needed attention other than a couple who had them underneath and they
had to be removed as they were abraded by their hay and started to bleed.
Just feel it occasionally to see that it has not grown.

I hope that you are lined up for a cataract op as it must be a real
nuisance for you being unable to see very well. Your vet is kind to offer a
cheap checkup for Archie and to do his nails.

All the best.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.