[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Re: Apollo not eating

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Dec 9 13:49:46 EST 2017

Dear Jocelyn,

I totally agree with what Penny and ME replied about Apollo's health
problems. Cavies are very susceptible to oral fungal infections. I
always give Daktarin gel or Itraconazole suspension to any piggy that
has had teeth work.  As a BAR trained rodentologist with over 30 years
experience, I was trained to always give antifungals after teeth work.
Often a fungal infection can cause teeth problems. Daktarin can be
ordered off the internet but usually takes a long time to arrive. You do
not have time to wait. Itraconazole also known as Sporanox is a
prescription drug. It is a 10mg/ml suspension. The dose is 5mg orally
twice a day for 7-14 days. Thus if the vet gave you a 10mg/ml suspension
of Itraconazole you would give 0.5ml orally twice a day. Run don't walk
back to your vet to get an antifungal and bring in a fresh urine sample
to be checked for glucose. In the mean time keep syringe feeding Apollo
critical care or a mash made out of food pellets and water and anything
else he will eat. A piggy needs a minimum of 40ml of water and 40ml of
syringe food/day. To give you an idea of how much 40ml is, a shot glass
holds 30ml. So it is about 1.5 shot glasses of each.

I am not a vet. I became a rodentologist in order to train vets to care
for my rescued piggys. In my experience every EXOTIC vet I have ever met
except British trained vets did not know that cavies need antifungals
after any oral surgery.

Cheers, Ann of Piggyville