[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Apollo and Dante, diabetes

ME buddies at buddies.org
Tue Dec 12 00:21:38 EST 2017

So sorry to hear about Apollo.  Our furry friends are fragile and often choose to leave us far too soon.  Dante definitely shouldn't have a friend join him while sick ... best for him to be completely well as there's stress when introducing new ones.

My only diabetic guinea pig, Viola, was on glipizide, which I crushed into baby food and gave her a portion.  I believe in the UK, the medication used is glyburide.  I also stopped giving her fruit, but now that I'm diabetic, I realize I should have also limited carrots and probably should have figured out a substitution for her pellets (all the grain in it).  I began just testing her urine, but as her BG dropped, I found it necessary to get a glucometer and test her blood.  I only did it a few times a week while I was increasing her dose and once a week when I found the right dose, but I think it should be tested more often.