[Gpdd] [HEALTH] RIP Apollo and Daktarin

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Dec 12 14:11:56 EST 2017

Dear Jocelyn,
I and the Piggyville girls are very sad to hear that Apollo has passed
over the rainbow bridge. You can do everything right for your piggys but
sometimes the results are not what you expected. In time the pain will
pass but his love and all the wonderful memories that you have of him
will live on.

I do not know where you live. You mentioned that next time you will ask
the vet for Daktarin Oral Gel. Daktarin Oral Gel is a UK product. It is
also manufactured in Asia and Australia. I am not just a rodentologist,
but also a pharmaceutical scientist. If you live in the USA I doubt you
will find a vet that has Daktarin. I have included an ebay link for one
of the many places you can buy it on the internet.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-10g-Daktarin-Oral-Gel-Miconzale-2-Treat-Oral-Thrush-Ships-from-USA-/282518696579
I would recommend that everyone have a tube of Daktarin in their piggy
first aid kit. Anytime a piggy goes off food or has dental surgery they
are more susceptible to getting oral fungal infections. This is a well
documented species specific idiosyncrasies of cavies. However, what is
not well documented or taught is what to do about it. I was taught to
give 0.5ml of Daktarin oral gel 2-3 times a day for a minimum of 5 days.
That is to prevent an oral fungal infection. If a piggy already has an
oral fungal infection, than you may need to treat with Daktarin for 3
weeks. Earlier I wrote about Itraconazole which is a human prescription
medication. Most USA pharmacies carry Itraconazole oral suspension
10mg/ml because it is used to treat oral thrush, a fungal infection,  in
babies and people with compromised immune systems. I prefer Daktarin
over Itraconazole.

No vet or MD knows everything. We need to arm ourselves with knowledge
and be brave enough to talk up for our piggys and ourselves.

I am not a vet.

Sincerely, Ann of Piggyville