[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Type 2 diabetes

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Dec 12 15:14:38 EST 2017

A general note on type 2 diabetes in cavies.

(Rachel Koo) in Gpdd Digest, Vol 16, Issue 219 wrote a very good
response. A piggy that is drinking more than usual and peeing more than
usual may be showing one of the first signs of diabetes. Many piggys
like to play with their water bottle and/or mix water into their food
bowl. This may just be how they like to eat their pellets. To prevent
oral fungal infections be sure to clean the bowl daily. But if your
piggy is draining the water bottle daily and peeing a lot and loosing
weight or showing signs of cataracts that is more likely a sign of a
health problem.

The least expensive way to check for glucose is in urine by using test
strips. To conduct urine test first syringe feed at least 5.0 ml of
water. Put cavy in an empty plastic container and cover it partially
with a towel. After urination pour the urine into a clean tall container
or test tube. I use the plastic sleeve from a 1.0 ml sterile syringe as
a test tube. Test the urine according to the directions on the
urinalysis test strip bottle. I use Rapid Response 10 Parameter (10SG)
Urinalysis Reagent Test Strips, 100 Strips/Bottle from Amazon.com.
Alternatively, you can place a test strip onto a paper towel. Collect
1.0 ml of urine with a clean syringe and place a drop of urine on each
of the coloured squares. With the reagent strip still on the paper towel
turn it so the coloured squares are facing you so that the paper can
absorb the excess urine. Read the results against the shade chart on the
outside of the bottle. All of the values should be negative except that
specific gravity should be mid scale and normal pH is between 8.0-9.0.
If positive for glucose put piggy on a test diet of only timothy hay,
cabbage, rolled oats and water for a minimum of a week and retest. This
diet contains all of the nutrients that a piggy requires. Personally I
use a blood glucose meter because it is much faster, very sensitive but
it is also more expensive. To obtain the blood sample over cut a
toenail. Use styptic powder to stop the bleeding. This can be bought at
pet stores. Normal blood glucose is 60-125mg/dl.

I have used both tolbutamide and glipizide for treatment of type 2
diabetes. I prefer glipizide because the tablets can be made into a
1.0mg/ml aqueous solution. Starting dose is orally 0.25ml q12h while the
piggy is on the test diet. The dosage is adjusted up or down every 4th
day until glucose is in the normal range or negative in urine. Then you
can slowing add pelleted food and treats while monitoring glucose levels
and adjusting glipizide as directed by your vet. Fortunately, most
piggys that I have treated eventually went into remission.

Cheers, Ann of Piggyville