[Gpdd] Misc Re: teddy guinea pig behavior.

Jocelyn Anderson jocelynm at umich.edu
Mon Jan 30 07:55:49 EST 2017

Hi Chris,

I have had one teddy piggy, his name was Benito. When he was younger I had
to separate them off from the other two piggies, Edgeworth (smooth haired)
and Gruden von Squeakycheeks (crested.) Benito really didn't get along with
Edgeworth at all, but I had caught Edgeworth trying to sit on Benito when
he was younger, so I don't blame him.

They were all separated but could chat through the bars. When I moved to a
new apartment, I set up larger cages. When Gruden finished exploring, he
realized that Benito was in a different cage (the cages were still really
close together) and they both got really upset. Lots of squeaking and
running around. Maybe they thought they were going to be separated. In any
case, I ended up combing the two cages, this time with just two grids
separating them. I went out to do errands, and when I got back, Benito had
somehow squeezed himself (he was a big pig!) through the grids, onto
Gruden's side. After that, I figured if they wanted to get along, they
could share a cage. And they got along ever after!

Benito was a pretty shy piggy. It sounds like your teddy piggy has some
strong opinions! It could be that she's going through her teenager phase
and in a couple of months she'll chill out a little bit. I've also had
piggies that just do not get along with other piggies, so they have their
own run. In case, I hope it works out soon! It can be stressful when the
piggies don't get along.

Jocelyn, Dmitri, Apollo, and Dante Wigglebottom.