[Gpdd] Health: Spaying for uterine tumour

Luita Dean Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 7 12:23:49 EST 2017

Pat,
Many years ago I had a piggie, Bernice, who was spayed because of bleeding
uterine fibroids. She was the vet's first guinea pig spay. Bernice did
fine, although when I picked her up, the vet was rather a mess, because
apparently she had bled much more than he expected, and he had been afraid
of losing her. I think it's a rather complicated and touchy operation,
undoubtedly better done by someone well practiced with small animals. I
can't offer you a clear answer for Primrose - five years is an oldish
piggie, and if she's already off her food, she may already be feeling
symptoms. If the mass is fibroids (they grow very quickly), then I believe
the operation may be worth while (especially if Primrose is otherwise in
excellent health), but if the mass is cancer, then I would recommend
palliative care, since it may have already spread. The Berlin Pigs and I
wish the very best for both you and Primrose!
Luita
Marinella and Chap