[Gpdd] Misc: In what countries is it normal to have guinea pigs as pets?

Luita Dean Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 3 15:37:27 EDT 2017

Many people in Germany have guinea pigs as pets. I have noticed that, even
in the smallest villages, the local grocery stores stock guinea pig food.
I belong to a very active national German guinea pig rescue association,
"Notmeerschweinchen" ("Guinea Pigs in need"), that has an excellent
website (http://www.notmeerschweinchen.de). If you take a peek, click on
the top bar "Meerschweinchen" to see individual pictures of all the guinea
pigs who are available for adoption. On the left of the adoption pictures,
if you click on
"Unvermittelbare", you'll see the pictures and histories (in German, of
course, but you can always copy and paste into Google's translation site)
of guinea pigs who are not available for adoption because of their special
issues. If you click on a picture on the "adoptable" page, you'll see an
outline of the piggie's age, how long in the association, where he or she
is being fostered, and details about the piggie's health.

Luita
Chap and Marinella, both Notmeerschweinchen alumni