[Gpdd] MISC: Where are Guinea Pigs Kept as Pets

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Mon Oct 9 14:16:41 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,
I live in Western Canada and here, as in most of Canada, guinea pigs are generally considered to be a child's "starter pet".  Like the Piggyfriends, most of my piggies have come from the local animal shelter and most were there because the kids got bored with the piggy or tired of having to feed it and clean the cage.  One good sign which I have observed in the past year or so is that many piggies are now arriving at the shelter in pairs, which makes me think that some owners (whether children or parents) have taken the trouble to do a little research and are attempting to provide a happier life for the piggy.
So far, I have yet to meet another adult with a guinea pig in the vet's waiting room or at a pet supplies store.  It's a shame when you consider how many animal-loving people are living alone in apartments or condominiums which don't allow cats and dogs, but might permit small caged pets like guinea pigs.  If they only knew how entertaining piggies can be and what companionship they could enjoy from keeping a piggy friend or two!  I have kept all sorts of animals as pets over the years, and pound for pound, I would say piggies pack the biggest and most interesting personalities into the smallest package.
Pat and the Prairie Pigs