[Gpdd] HEALTH Rapid eye movements

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:02:29 EDT 2017

Some thoughts on Spikey.

I, too, have had piggies who have suffered strokes and I remember the rapid
eye movement with them. Sometimes, like Jocelyn's Apollo. they have lost
the use of their hind legs but later recovered. Sometimes they have a
permanent head tilt after the stroke.

My beloved Otto, fast approaching his seventh birthday was believed to have
suffered a stroke at birth and he has always had a head tilt, though this
has in no way affected his life. He was not born here so this is just
hearsay from the person who had his mother. Could possibly have been as a
result of oxygen starvation at birth.

So I would think that Spikey's condition could be stroke related. An ear
infection can cause a head tilt but I have not seen nystagmus at the same
time.

Any piggy having a stroke here is given a course of Osteocare. This works
for the sudden onset hind leg paralysis, which needs immediate calcium plus
Vit D, I learnt this from Peter Gurney, who did not know why it worked but
it did! 1ml. a day for two days then 0.5ml for a few days until piggy is up
and about.

Having seen it work for the paralysis, my Rodentologists tried it for
stroke patients and had a good rate of success. As for as I am concerned,
anything is worth a try.

Osteocare is liquid calcium plus magnesium, zinc and Vit D and is available
over the counter from pharmacies in England. Otherwise your vet might like
to try calcium injections. The Vit D is vital at the same time.

If Spikey has athritis, he will need pain meds just like me. Rimadyl is
good for piggies or I use children's liquid Nurofen. Your vet will know
best. ( I hope ).

Thinking back. My Louis fell over on his side maybe a year ago. He could
not walk but was dragging his hind legs. I propped him up in a box of
towels so that he was in the correct position after giving him the
Osteocare treatment. A few hours later, he was running around as though
nothing had happened.

Just a few thoughts, as I said above. The usual disclaimer applies. I have
no veterinary training but have seen many things in my piggies over very
many years.

All the best for Spikey.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

Virus-free.