[Gpdd] MISC: Nugget's New Friend

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 8 19:21:44 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,
I agree with Rayna that a piggy friend on the other side of the cage bars is still a piggy friend.
I have only ever had one bonded pair of boars and they came to me that way, so I can't even claim credit for bonding those two.  All of the six Prairie Pigs live together in the same room, though. and all share a cage wall with at least one other pig.  I've noticed that many of these neighbours seem to become good friends, often choosing to hang out or sleep together, just on opposite sides of the cage wall only inches away from each other.
A while back, after my piggy Faith unexpectedly departed for the Rainbow Bridge, I decided to reorganize the cages a bit.  That loss left me with only one sow, the beautiful Bonnie McSmithers, and I must admit I assumed that whichever lucky boar ended up next door to Bonnie would think he had won the jackpot.  Not true, as it happened.  The "lucky" boy was Edvard Munch who proceeded to sulk and pitch hissy fits for a week until I moved Bonnie back to her old cage and Edvard's pal Guinness back next door to Edvard.  Even the siren call of a lovely little sow like Bonnie did not distract Edvard from missing his pal, whom he had never met face to face, only shared that cage wall with.
Also, I'm not sure how common this experience is, but my bonded pair, Butch and Sundance, have arguments virtually every day.  Often, these are accompanied by loud tooth-chattering, outraged wheeks and somebody mounting somebody else.  The aggressor and victim roles will change from day to day and there has never been any actual bloodshed.  (It's also worth noting that the arguments take up a maximum of perhaps ten or fifteen minutes in any given day; the rest of the time they spend sleeping together or munching from the hayrack side by side.)  At first, these arguments really upset me and I would rush to the pigroom to try to break them up but now