[Gpdd] HEALTH: Nugget seems to not be feeling well

ME buddies at buddies.org
Mon Jun 25 22:04:10 EDT 2018

Is Nugget losing weight?  If you haven't been weighing him, weigh him now for a reference.  When I have a piggie who doesn't seem to be eating, I weigh them in the morning and evening to figure out their weight fluctuations during a day (I add more data points if I want to watch more closely).  I already weigh them once a week to be aware of their natural weight fluctuations throughout the months and seasons.

I have found that some pigs just change their behavior when their situation changes drastically (like the passing of a friend).  It's just natural since their lives are different now and they can't do what they used to do.  Sapphire is going through that right now.  She doesn't have the friend that she played with since she was a baby (I got her with Pearl and they were in the same pen).  Her weight is fine, but her behavior changed drastically.

I think I've figured out that she's lost without her friend and I've been spending lots of time making her confident.  I think it may be working.  She became really skittish, but now she's looking for her humans again.  I'm hoping to reintroduce her to Daisy soon, as I think her aggressive behavior may have been caused by her uncertainty.

Obviously, Nugget isn't exhibiting the same behaviors as Sapphire, but the root cause may be the same.  Of course, if he's losing weight, you need to act quickly.  But if he's not losing weight ... maybe he's eating at a different time ... he could have been getting his cues from Eddie.  As for lumbering around ... it could be a medical problem, or it could be the fact that his playmate isn't around to encourage him to get around.