[Gpdd] Health: Metacam Dosage

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 15 12:10:02 EST 2020

I agree, Mieke, that sounds like a huge dosage for a guinea pig.  My vet has prescribed the cat version of Metacam for my piggies a number of times, usually after dental work or bladder stone surgery, and the dose was always .2 ml once a day.  Right after Horatio's bladder stone surgery, my vet directed that I give the .2 ml twice a day for three days but that would still have amounted to only .4 ml per day.
I used to be on a rabbit listserve, and some people on that used much higher dosages for extremely painful conditions like jaw abscesses or retrobulbar abscesses (behind the eye), but I don't think they were doing this on the advice of their vet.
Is it possible for you to get a second vet opinion on this?  Good luck to you and Cookie!
Pat and the Prairie Pigs