[Gpdd] Health: Ralphy Lauren Had Surgery

Audrey Binder agbmcmd at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 27 17:21:06 EST 2020

The past 2 weeks have been scary. Ralphy had a lump on his mammary gland, so we took him to his vet right away. Dr. Schwartz first did a needle aspiration, but no fluid came out. He then did a blood culture, and it looked suspicious. The vet suggested surgery, but Ralphy is 5 years old and we did not know if he would survive surgery. He is otherwise healthy, so we opted for the surgery, as Dr. Schwartz is very experienced with guinea pigs. Ralphy had the surgery 2 days later, and we were very anxious all day, waiting to hear. He survived the surgery and we picked him up that night. The next 24 hours were difficult and we did not think he would make it. He did not eat, pee, or poop, and his eyes did not look well. We gave him antibiotics, and pain meds, as well as Critical Care, and lots of love and prayers. Each day he improved a little, and started eating and drinking. We kept him on the antibiotics for a week, and took him back to the vet 10 days later.
By that time Ralphy was back to his old self, great appetite, pooping and peeing well, and the vet removed the stitches. We got the pathology report and the tumor was malignant, but Dr. Schwartz got it all out and the margins were clean. Hopefully he will have some more time to enjoy his life with his mama Rickie, who loves him so much. It was costly and very scary, but we have a great vet and it was worth it.
We are very relieved, and Ralphy is looking forward to participating in, and helping to run this year's Peter Gurney Memorial again on March 9, to remember all those at the Rainbow Bridge.  We hope you will, too. Ralphy is glad that Nugget is doing better, too. Light a candle on March 9 at 8:00 pm and be part of this great tradition.
Remembering Cholito, Pepito, Reese, and Gordon, at the Rainbow Bridge