[Gpdd] CARE: floor time

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 19 11:15:04 EDT 2020

Nugget and Scottie finally got floor time yesterday for the first time! Their cage is pretty big, but I had been wanting them to be able to get out on the floor and explore. However, the piece of linoleum under their cage (backed with a painter's drop cloth) had gotten curled up, and I was afraid they'd chew on it. This week my husband got a new piece of linoleum and placed a wooden frame on top of it (it looks like a screen door) so the new linoleum wouldn't curl.

I set the boys out yesterday afternoon, and Scottie in particular didn't know what to think! Both boys decided their carrier would be safer.

After about fifteen minutes, I gently set each boy on the floor again, and this time they found it more interesting. Nugget, of course, has been on the floor but never much liked it after Eddie and then Stuart Little passed away <sniff>.

They found that items from their cage had magically appeared! They found their sofa, PVC tube, hay trough, water bottles, and timothy hay bowls. Scottie discovered he could chew on the wooden frame (it's untreated wood) and decided it was quite tasty. Nugget perched on the frame to eat pellets.

At one point, they both wanted to sit on the sofa and when Nugget got on it, Scottie ran off and did several popcorns to show his disapproval.

I think the boys will say that floor time is "pig tested, mother approved."

Hope everyone is doing well!

Cindy, Nugget, and Scottie