[Gpdd] Misc: Introduction Problems

Luita Dean Spangler luitad at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun Sep 6 17:06:42 EDT 2020

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't been posting much, although I'm always happy to read
what's up with others, and especially love reading Cindy, Nugget and
Scottie's updates. We've been having a bit of a hard time here. Our
wonderful Marinella died July 13 - 8 1/2 years old, perfectly healthy
until she got a tumor on her spleen. What was particularly special about
her is how she stayed by her partner pig Chap's side while he was dying,
sleeping by him, grooming him, and once squeaked desperately to me,
clearly asking me to do something to save him. She was so special.

After Chap died, we got Ritter, an elderly (6 years old), blind in one
eye, rescue to keep Marinella company. He was clearly lonely after she
passed, so after a long search, we got Tilly, 2 1/2 year old "purebred"
Teddy - there were no females available at the animal shelter or the
guinea pig rescue. This has NOT been a match made in heaven. They had at
least one good fight while we were asleep; she was bit on the lip, and
Ritter got a rather serious bite right by his one good eye. He has been on
antibiotics and pain medicine since then; her bite has healed without any
problems. No fighting since, but no friendly relations either. I am at a
loss as to what to do. All our other pig introductions were without
problems - some established deeper relationships than others, but nobody
was overtly hostile.

Does anyone have any advice?

Luita
Ritter,