[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR - Guinea Pigs Are Smart

DebraStory at aol.com DebraStory at aol.com
Tue Dec 16 21:50:33 EST 2003

Hi To All -  Have you ever heard anyone say that guinea pigs are dumb?  Well,
I disagree!  I have noticed so many things that disprove this idea.  Lately
my little guys have been showing me how they can reason things out.  I bought
some new hay racks that hook on the side of my cube condo.  I saw one of my
boars (Patches) walk up to the rack and look it over.  He evidently wanted some
of the hay that was in the top of the rack.  He stood up on his hind legs and
unhooked one side of the hay rack from the side of the cage.  Then he stuck his
nose into the rack on the side he unhooked and began to pick out pieces of
particularly tasty hay.  Later on in the week I saw another one of my boars
(Peanut) do the same thing.  Nobody can tell me that guinea pigs are not smart
little guys.  Have any of you noticed your piggies doing things like this that
show how smart they are?  Thought I would share this with all of you who love
cavies like I do.
Wheeeeks To All,
Debra, Patches, Peanut and Pumpkin