[Gpdd] HEALTH: Brownie Bear

Lori Albee lorialbee at redshift.com
Fri Nov 14 17:38:36 EST 2003

Hi Leah-

I'm so sorry to hear poor Brownie Bear is showing blood in her urine.
Our Little Bear had the same symptoms when she was 2 1/2.  Our vet said
she suspected uterine cancer because Little Bear was not spayed.  We
scheduled her for surgery immediately, and fortunately our vet was able
to get all of the cancer with just a regular spay
(ovario-hysterectomy).  We had our dear Little Bear for 3 1/2 more
delightful years before she finally left us for the Bridge.

I know that surgery is a scary thing and I always feel great anxiety
when one of our babies goes under the knife.  But after ten years of
living with all of these wonderful little friends (currently 12 rabbits
+ 3 fosters and 6 cavies), I really believe that spaying and neutering
prevent a lot of problems- especially ovarian cysts and uterine cancer
in female rabbits and guinea pigs.

I know you'll do the right thing for Brownie Bear.  Finding a good vet
is, of course, the most important thing.  You already know about
syringe feeding and probiotics, so post-op won't be anything new for
you if she does have surgery.  You might want to get some Critical Care
beforehand.

Best wishes, and keep us posted!  Our thoughts are with you!  And of
course, some extra hugs and kisses for Brownie Bear!

Lori