[Gpdd] Health -- snacks and teeth trimming

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 12:56:25 EST 2003

>Heather Voss wrote:
>I don't know what to do about my guinea pig.  The only supplement that she
> will eat is timothy hay.  I've gotten her wood chew sticks, salt wheels, and
> alfalfa chunks and she won't touch any of it.  Is it important for her to
> have the chew sticks and salt wheels?  What else could i give her for a
> healthy treat and to keep her teeth down?  Also, is there an unhealthy limit
> of hay for her to have?

I don't think you have a problem, or rather it's a problem more of us wish
we had. Timothy hay is the best thing for your gp -- it really should be
their main source of food, with pellets and everything else being secondary.
It is low in nutritional value and good for their digestive system so they
can eat a hell of a lot of it. Some pigs get sweet tooths and don't like hay
as much as they should -- and get too fat.

I stopped providing salt wheels when I realized that my pigs were getting
plenty of minerals from their pelleted food. A salt wheel can be hard on the
kidneys if they get obsessed with it, as some of mine have.

About the teeth -- check them. Are they overgrown or is the pig dribbling or
drooling? If not, the pig is keeping their teeth trimmed fine with regular
chewing and whatever else they're doing - even hay chewing. (I think my pigs
use the metal water spout sometimes). If the pig already has a problem with
his teeth, he is unable to use the things you are giving him anyway and
needs professional help to clip his teeth so he can eat normally.

Hope this helps.