[Gpdd] Health - the Sniffles

Jennifer Caldwell jacaldwell at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 10:15:28 EDT 2003

Hi, I am the proud slave of 2 precious and precocious girls by the name of
Matilda Spikey Pig and Penelope Pig (PennyPig).  Here is my query:  I
received Matilda as a gift from a pet store along with a cage mate who
sadly, yet not surprisingly, passed away 3 days later.  I had an appointment
at a trusted veterinarian for both but "sick pig" did not make it.  Matilda
had all the signs of an upper respiratory infection and was treated with
antibiotics for 20 days.  However, the sneezing and snotiness were still
there ~ so the doctor thought she might have bordetella (Kennel Cough in
dogs) so we treated with medication for that  .  .  . sneezing didn't stop ~
tried 2 other medications, didn't stop (she was on medication for almost 3
months straight.)  During this time I adopted Penelope from the Humane
Society.  I kept them in separate rooms and did not allow any contact
(washing hands and such before handling so PennyPig wouldn't get ill.)
Long(er) story short, Penny and Matilda are now avid playmates, although
they do not share the same cage (tried it - they almost killed each other!)
Matilda still sneezes and is snotty but PennyPig has never "caught" it.  I
stopped using pine shavings with Matilda and have switched to the recycled
newspaper "bedding."  Has anyone ever been a slave to a wheeker with
allergies?  Her sneezing gets worse when it is about time to clean her cage
(which I am diligent about.)  Her vet and I have literally tried every
medication on the market for URI and bordetella - short of steroids.  She is
a perky ball of energy and eats and drinks like a little elephant so I know
she is okay in that regard.  I'm just worried for my little wee pig.  Any
suggestions would be much appreciated.  Sincerely, Jennifer: slave to
Matilda and PennyPig