[Gpdd] Care: SPEAKING GUINEA PIG

Misti Sefcik awesomejesus at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 14:52:51 EDT 2003

Guinea Pigs have quite a large vocabulary. Some more than others however.
Here are some of the more common sounds you might hear your friend saying
and what they mean.

Squeaking!
AREN'T I CUTE? I'M HUNGRY! Guinea Pigs will often greet the person who feeds
them when they walk into the room with whistles and squeaks just in case
they might have some food. They also learn very rapidly which door you open
to get food and squeak when you open it. In our case its the refrigerator
and the back sliding door. And they also have learned to tell time as they
begin squeaking when its 4:30 to tell us its feeding time.

Purring
Guinea Pigs will make a purring sound when you pet them in a favorite spot
or sometimes when you pet their fur backwards. As far as I can tell this is
a happy sound as the males make this sound while slowly walking around the
females while courting them during mating.

Teeth Chattering!
I'M REALLY MAD! Hopefully your friend isn't doing this to you, but they may
do it to a cage mate during a disagreement. What they are doing is rubbing
their top and bottom teeth against each other to sharpen them in preparation
for a fight. If you see this happening you should step in and break things
up so no one gets hurt. Guinea Pigs can really tear each other up in a
fight. If fights break out often your cage is too small and you should
really consider separating the two that are fighting. Most often it will be
two mature males.

Squealing
Not squeaking but a general long squeal sound means I"M NOT HAPPY. Often
heard when you pick up piggy in the middle of a nap or feeding time. Some
just complain whenever you pick them up.

Bocking
It's hard to explain this one, but if you have a Guinea Pig and you see them
walk around they make this bocking noise. Again I thinks it's a noise that
tells the other Pigs in the house where they are going.

Grunting
I have only had a few Guinea Pigs do this. While laying on my chest very
relaxed for an extended period they start to grunt the way a cat would begin
to purr. A sign of total contentment.

Shivering
Not really a sound but a communication just the same. I'M SCARED. When you
hold a Guinea Pig they may sometimes start to shiver. Cover their heads. If
that doesn't work bring over their house mate. Guinea Pigs that are not held
much, or ones that were abused, will often shiver until they learn that
being held is a safe and good thing. Having a lettuce snack doesn't hurt
either.

God Bless,
  Misti

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es