[Gpdd] [Health]......Koko losing weight after neutering

Sandra Oliver-Poore oliverpoore at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 16 22:01:29 EDT 2003

Jim and Koko

About your Koko.  I have had several boars nuetered and one of them, Wild
Wooly Willy, had an interesting outcome.  He hads apparently lost some
muscle tone in the area with the result that his cecal poops jam into the
sack but cant come out .  Actually  I don't really know which poops, but I
dont see him grabbing and eating his cecal poops like he used to.  They
daont jam up like they do in some boars, neutered or not, but there is
always one dry poop just inside, which I clean out with a Qtip.  I am
hypothesizing that in the case of Koko he may not be getting the cecal poops
that all guinea pigs need for there unique mix of vitamins and gut flora.
Therefore I suggest you try cleaning him out daily (stinky) and supplement
his diet with pro biotics or yogurt for a while and see if you see an
improvement.  You can feed yogurt with live cultures but watch out for added
sugar as g-pigs are pronne to diabetes.

This is something that can cause loss of weight.  You need the urine dip
test strips from the drug store. If you get a positive result for sugar in
the urine your vet can provide medication If you prefer, he can do the test
as well.

In the mean time you can offer oatmeal and banana which I give underweight
piggies

Good Luck and let us know.

Sandy and the Penny Giggles