[Gpdd] [health] - fatty tumors...

Bob & Chris Robertson rssg at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 11:29:34 EDT 2003

I sent this information several days ago, but it was returned - I hope I now
have my email set to text and will get through.

We have a little gal that is just over four years old and has a fatty tumor
about the size of a nickel on her lower tummy.  It was confirmed as a fatty
tumor by needle aspiration, and it doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort.
My vet said as long as it doesn't change (change texture, etc.) to just
leave it be and she would continue to be her same happy self.

Recently I was discussing a situation I have with my doctor where I could
use medication or consider surgery.  My doctor explained that surgery isn't
as "routine" as we are led to believe.  In fact, you are at risk when you go
"under the knife", and a doctor has to weigh the risk of surgery vs. the
odds of recovery without it - it can be that risky.  I took this information
into consideration when looking at my little gal's tumor.  I know there were
postings that validated having surgery, but I also know that surgery puts
these little guys into a high stress situation and sometimes that stress is
more than our little ones can handle.

Having said that, both my gals are doing well.  Cleo continues to be her
usual dominate, pushy little self, ruling the cage, and Spookie is her sweet
laid-back little self.  Cleo doesn't know how lucky she is to have a cage
mate that seems to like her with all her faults.  They have been together
for four years now, and they are both my little doll babies.  They live a
spoiled life and my friends continue to laugh at how spoiled they are.  My
family calls the "The Royals"!

Warm wheeks to all-
Chris, Cleo and Spookie