[Gpdd] Re: Misc. ...Koko

James & Margaret Lynn jimmarg.lynn at juno.com
Thu Apr 1 04:43:38 EST 2004

The add in the paper said: "Free Female Guinea Pig to a Good Home".

I had always wanted a guinea pig so I went to see Koko and it was love at
first sight.  By the time I arrived back home I discovered that there had
been a miraculous transformation and Koko was very much a male.

Thus, six years ago Koko and I began our long friendship.  He was not a
"good looking" piggie; if fact, I often commented that he could win an
"Ugly Contest".

Koko arrived at a time in my life when I needed a close friend, a
confident, somebody who would listen, somebody who liked to be held,
somebody who liked to snuggle......Koko fulfilled all of these needs for
me.

Koko and I entered our senior years together with aches and pains and
trips to the vet and the doctor whichever one of us was ailing at the
time.  My dear friend started his downhill decline about a year ago and
vets could find nothing wrong with him except he was getting older and
slowing down.

Recently Koko gave up on eating and existed only on the daily feeding of
yogurt which he dearly loved and looked forward to each afternoon.  This
was a special time for both of us as he sat on his towel on my lap and
would tilt his head up so I could squirt the yogurt into his mouth.

Two days ago I called my wife up to the room where my piggies live.  Koko
 was sitting hunched in a corner and his cage mate "Abby" was snuggled up
tight against him.  I told my wife that I thought Abby sensed that he was
sick and that she was trying to give him comfort.

This morning about 5:30 A.M. I checked on Koko and found him lying in his
cage very near death.  I picked him up and placed him on his favorite
towel and held him in my lap and gently petted him and told him that it
was okay to let go and start his journey over the Rainbow Bridge.  He let
out several little purrs as if to say that he understood.

Koko died on my lap about 7:00 A.M. this morning.  I took him back to his
pen and placed him inside so his long time friend Abby could say goodbye
to him.  She approached his body and thoroughly sniffed all over him.
She them licked his head for a long time especially his eyes and his
mouth.  She then layed down beside and snuggled with him for about ten
minutes.  After that she again licked his face and then  looked up at me
as if to say; "OK,  you can take him now: I have said "Goodbye".

I wrapped Koko in his favorite towel along with two pieces for his
favorite food....green pepper and cantaloupe (just in case he needs a
little snack while on his journey over the Rainbow Bridge.

I buried Koko today under an oak tree where there is a good view of the
vegetable garden he so dearly loved.  This burial spot is also close to
the place where Koko and I competed in a 100 dash a few years ago when he
tried to escape to the woods.

Koko was a good, loyal friend and I shall miss him dearly but knowing he
is enjoying a never ending supply of green peppers and cantaloupe.

Good Bye my good friend.

Jim.........Abby, Sassy Suzy, Speedy, and Ginger