[Gpdd] Re: Care: the use of lice powder on cavies.

ADCAVY at aol.com ADCAVY at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 08:26:07 EDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

Just a short posting to advise all slaves not to use lice powder on guinea
pigs. We all know how much time and effort our pigs put into grooming. if
insecticidal powder has been used they will ingest it while washing etc. According
to Peter Gurney this can prove fatal. Ivermectin injected or given orally does
not kill lice as these do not actually bite into skin like mites , they just
feed on dead skin in the hair. An alternative is to shampoo with a head lice
treatment recommended for children or dogs. Research has proved these to be very
effective and safe.

best Wishes, Antoinette and the Magic 60.