[Gpdd] re: [CARE] <Kaytee Timothy Based Pellets>

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 14:51:49 EDT 2004

Hi Debra,
Unfortunately I do not remember the price... I could check next time I'm at work.
I found a description of it at Kaytee's website:
http://www.kaytee.com/products/mammals/?pid=43515&aid=all&pcid=1
I still can get Oxbow for a good deal at my vet's, and I think I'll stick to that. I was looking at the GuineaLynx site and reading the thread on the various ingredients in GP food...
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3748

I compared the two of them, and although I am definitely no expert on food ingredients or animal nutrition, they both seem to be pretty good quality. You're probably not as interested in pet food ingredients as I am (lately I've become borderline obsessed, actually), but I did notice some differences. Oxbow's "Cavy Cuisine" has no alfalfa ingredients at all while Kaytee's "Timothy Complete" had some, and Oxbow had a higher crude fiber and Vit. C content. Another thing to consider, Cavy Cuisine had higher levels of calcium than of phosphorus (which is good). I believe a proper Ca:Ph ratio is important for gps prone to stones or sludge. Kaytee's webpage did not give either the % Ca or Ph levels in their product. Also, Timothy Complete contains a preservative called Ethoxyquin, which the GuineaLynx site says to avoid - but I have heard arguments both for and against its use in various pet foods. It is actually a synthetic antioxidant sometimes used as a pesticide (not in the same
 quantities as it would be used as a food preservative, obviously). I haven't done a lot of research into it specifically, but so far I haven't come across any significant studies verifying some people's claims that it is linked to cancer or other diseases. But anyway, where am I going with this...

Wheeeeeeeks,
Lauren