[Gpdd] re: [HEALTH] Treatment for Ringworm

Lauren Cordeiro petunia_loo at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 19:47:32 EDT 2004

It's so frustrating sometimes the lack of consensus on guinea pig diagnosis & treatment and the lack of knowledge in general among many vets. Well, ringworm is not a worm, it is a fungus, and I know Peter Gurney has both an essential oil treatment* for fungal infections as well as mentions an oral Rx called GRISEOFULVIN (put in caps so you remember it :-) ) which I believe is a liquid. I am not sure if it's available in the US, but it's worth asking about - I can't imagine trying to feed my GPs pills when they weren't having it. I would also look for an anti-fungal shampoo, although just make sure with your vet that it's ok to use if you are treating him with anything else, to prevent overdosing on anything.
Also, ringworm is transmittable to people, and there are some over-the-counter topical treatments that you could use on yourself if you feel some itching...

*Here is P Gurney's essential oil fungal treatment plan, which he says works for his pigs almost every time:

Essential Oil Mixture:
2.5% Tea Tree Oil (ex: 2.5 ml)
2.5% Lemon Grass Oil
2.5% Patchouli
2.5% Lavender
90% Carrier Oil (a carrier oil helps the essential oils soak into the skin - examples are Evening Primrose, Sesame, Walnut, Almond, Grapeseed. Make sure the carrier oils were "cold pressed" or made specifically to be used w/ essential oils - unlike the oils you would buy to put on a salad, which are processed differently. Almond oil is a good one to use because it contains Vit. E, which acts as a preservative. The essential oils won't go bad, but carrier oils eventually can.)

The Shaw's and Hannaford supermarkets around here recently started carrying a lot of essential oils & stuff in their new "hippie" sections, and actually I'm getting really interested in the essential oil stuff now... it's really fun! I think once I become a nurse I want to specialize in "alternative" therapies like aromatherapy and acupuncture and stuff... anyway...

Massage the mixture into the gp's skin and leave for 24 hrs.
Shampoo, while gently teasing out as much hair as possible.
Repeat in three days.

P Gurney says that sometimes it may be necessary to repeat again in ten days, but warns that usually you may see flakes of skin shedding after the second shampooing for the next week or two, which he says is evidence that the treatment has worked, and so another round of treatment would not be necessary.

Well, I know the griseofulvin has been used before for fungal infections, so talk to your vet about that - but don't be afraid to try out Gurney's oil treatment instead. And remember, ringworm is transmittable so be careful handling them.

Lauren, Piglet and Pooh Bear