[GPDD] CARE re: new guinea pig owner questions

Renee Roszkowski rrgallop44 at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 12 13:19:53 EDT 2004

I'm so glad that you have taken in your daughter's friend's guinea pig.
For starters, get or build a new cage. Not only is the one he is in way
too small, but wire bottoms are a definite no no. They can get
bumblefoot, which is ulceration of the feet due to the rough surface.
The minimum size that he should have is 24 inches by 24 inches. (or
comparable space-longer and narrower but same footage if you have space
restrictions) If you are nervous about clipping the nails, I know many
veterinarians will do that for a small fee. Guinea pigs do not NEED to
be neutered. In general, surgeries on them are risky and need not be
done if not medically necessary. It is not the same as neutering dogs
and cats. It doesn't change their temperament or necessarily make them
less likely to have reproductive problems when older. As for veggies, I
would slowly introduce a few different types of fresh vegetables high in
vitamin C. Fresh veggies can cause diarrhea if introduced too quickly. I
usually give my adult females about 1/2-1 cup of fresh veggies a day.
Usually I give them 1/2 in the morning, 1/2 in the evening. My girls
love parsley, romaine lettuce, other lettuces (except iceberg-no
nutritional value), and dandelion greens. There are many others that you
can give. Make sure for bedding you DO NOT use cedar or raw pine. They
give off phenols (that cause the good smell) that are very bad and can
cause respiratory irritation and cancer. Kiln dried (process that
removes the phenols) pine, aspen, carefresh, and yesterdays news are all
good options. He may not know what to do with free time. You can see if
he responds to toys. Mine like a toilet paper tube cut lengthwise and
filled with hay. Some like paper balls and even bird toys. It sounds
like he enjoys lap time. That is really great. Hay (timothy or another
grass hay) is essential at all times. Also, make sure to feed a timothy
based pellet (if available in your area) also. Alfalfa based pellets and
hay have too much calcium that can contribute to bladderstones. Alfalfa
is okay if they are under 6 months as they need the extra nutrients.
Also, check out www.guinealynx.com and www.guineapigcages.com  and
www.oxbowhay.com    They are really good sites that give sound
information and are pretty thorough. Good luck and let us know how Mr.
Al Crispy is doing.

Renee, Mary and Molly, Patches, Kate and Dora, Flash